Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Sunday 11 March 2007


F is for Freddie, a very special person who is undertaking a fantastic project of cooking his way through the alphabet of veg. Congrats to Freddie's mum for coming up with such a cool idea to encourage good healthy food and cooking a such a young age. I am sure that Gregg (veggie expert and lovely MC judge) would be very impressed with Freddie.
Freddie is currently on C is for Cabbage - so this one's for you Freddie! Hope you like it - it's one of my favourite winter dishes.

1 savoy cabbage, leaves separated
1 pack of sausages (any variety but we like traditional English best)
salt and pepper
50grams salted butter

Blanch the cabbage leaves for 3 minutes in boiling salted water until soft. Drain and set aside. Remove the skin from the sausages and mix the sausagemeat together. In a cast iron casserole dish, line the bottom with some of the cabbage leaves, places a third of the sausagemeat on top and then continue layering the cabbage leaves and sausage meat, seasoning between each layer and ending with cabbage leaves on top. Chop the butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the top cabbage layer. Place a sheet of greaseproof paper on top. Press down and fold in at the sides so that it forms a tight lid. Place the casserole lid on top and cook in a moderate over Gas Mark 5, 180 oC for approximately 40 minutes. Serve in slices with warm crusty bread. Very simple but definitely tasty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Hannah.
This sounds perfect for us. And Freddie is happy for you to use his photo rather than a picture of a cabbage!

We will blog the results - when I cook it for the family which should be this week.
GBVC