Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 30 May 2007



As requested, here is the recipe for tomato water from the Masterchef quarterfinals!

Serves 4 (very small portions - this is not a dish to serve to the very hungry!)

16 large and very ripe and juicy souping tomatoes

1 tbsp Caster sugar

Salt and pepper to season

1 glass white wine

Roughly chop the tomatoes and put with all juices in a pan with the sugar, lots of salt and pepper (as the seasoning will not be as strong when chilled) and the white wine. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Strain through muslin as many times as you can bear - I did about three strainings on the programme or ideally leave the mixture to drip through slowly overnight as this will give it a clearer colour. Pour into shot glasses and chill in the fridge.

This is yummy served with crackling straws (sadly mine burnt on Masterchef so I didn't serve them - clearly the oven's fault, not mine!) Remove all fat from a piece of pig skin (approx 30cm x 10cm - ask your butcher nicely, mine usually has some!). Cut into long thin strips with scissors. Lightly oil baking trays with some olive oil. Line up strips of fat on one of the trays and sprinkle over rock salt. Place the other tray on top and weigh down (a heavy casserole dish is ideal) so that the crackling bakes straight. Bake in a hot oven for approx 18 minutes until the crackling is golden brown. Serve a crackling straw in each glass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS HANNAH!!!!! I'm sure there will be some happy bunnies now! x

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a delicious way to start a dinner party and get your dinner guests eating engines roaring!

AnyDreamWillDo said...

Hannah, Thanks for putting this recipe up! I remember watching that episode and I've been dying to try it!