Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 12 September 2007

We have had a fantastic crop of pears this year in our garden - there are almost too many to use and I have been busy stewing them for the freezer so that I can use them over the winter. Poached pears are delicious and make a lovely pudding with a large spoon of clotted cream

Spiced Poached Pears
500ml water
500ml red wine
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 star anise
a good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
100g caster sugar
juice of one lemon
4 ripe pears

Heat the water, wine, sugar, spices and lemon in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to boil. Peel the pears leaving their stalks attached. Place the pears in the pan and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes until the pears are soft and have taken on the colour of the wine. Serve warm or cold with cream.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah, I'm seeing a lot of pears here lately too. The photo you put up of the pears weighing down the branch is so lovely. It says "abundance". It seems that whatever you make, a dollop of clotted cream makes it so yummy :)

Gloria Baker said...

So nice looks your pears, I love pears, my mom make them with a chocolate's cream, yummy.
I have a tree of pears but is so little yet maybe this summer (we are on spring) we will have some pears.xxxx Gloria

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
I recently came upon your blog and I'm enjoying it very much. I have a question about a photo in a previous post (on 08/21/07) there is a photo of you and your herbs. I am new to growing fresh herbs and would like to know if the baskets you grow your herbs in are lined with anything before planting.

Your pears are gorgeous!

Diane

Hannah said...

Hi Diane
The baskets I use are usually lined with a thin plastic layer which is porous so that the water can drain - the main reason for the plastic is to stop the earth washing away through the basket if it rains but I don't think it would be absolutely necessary. You should be able to buy lined baskets in a garden centre - hope this helps.

Gloria - wishing you every luck with your pear tree - hope that it has a good crop and thanks for your lovely comments maryann!

Marie Rayner said...

Beautiful pictures as always Hannah and a lovely recipe as well. I like to make pear sauce, you know,just like applesauce but made with pears. Then I freeze it and make lovely pearsauce cakes in the winter. It's also good warmed up and spooned over ice cream.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Hannah, you've been so busy while I was in Maine! These photos are sumptuous. Love poached pears.