Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 10 October 2007

This months CK is out and I have two articles in it! This is my favourite of the recipes - Damson Ripple Ice Cream! It was very yummy - I know this as there is none left in the freezer!

Damson Ripple Ice Cream

Preparation time 20 minutes plus cooking and freezing

This is a delicious autumnal version of raspberry ripple ice cream. The damson swirls through the ice cream are tangy and a lovely purple colour. All the ingredients for the ice cream need to be really cold before freezing so it is best to make the damson compote the day before if you have time.
400grams/14oz damsons
100ml water
100grams/3.5oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
227gram tub of clotted cream
150 grams caster sugar
200ml full fat milk
286ml double cream

To make the damson compote, simmer the damsons and water in a saucepan for approximately 20 minutes until the fruit is soft. Pass the fruit through a sieve to remove the stones and return the pulped fruit to the pan. Add the 100grams of caster sugar and simmer for a further 10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the compote is thick. Set aside to cool.

When the damson compote is cooled, make the ice cream base. Whisk the eggs for 2 minutes with a hand blender or mixer until light and frothy. Whisk in the 150grams of caster sugar a tablespoon at a time until completely blended. Pour in the cream, clotted cream and milk and whisk to blend. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions until set. Once the ice cream has set, gently pour in the damson compote and stir lightly to achieve a ripple effect. Store in the freezer in a sealed container for up to one month. Serve with fresh autumn berries and chocolate sauce if you wish.

7 comments:

Vida said...

For us foreigners can you please explain CK?? Vida x

Hannah said...

Of course Vida - it is short for Country Kitchen Magazine which is a magazine I write for every month! Sorry was just being lazy when I was typing this morning and abbreviated it!
Hannah
xxx

Vida said...

Thanks Hannah, I actually went back over your previous posts and found it... Wish we could get the mag here in Oz... Vida x

KellytheCulinarian said...

First time here and your blog is so impressive and tasty sounding. Also, the centerpiece in your photo looks amazing! I'd love to recreate it.

Vida said...

Hannah, are you on facebook too?? Vida x

Marie Rayner said...

I've been drooling over that recipe and your others ever since my issue of CK arrived!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

How gorgeus, Hannah. I really appreciate the recipe as I've had no luck finding a way to get CK over here!