Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Well my nine new girls arrived safely last night and are settling in to their new surroundings. They came from Leicester and judging by the panic amongst them when they heard the pheasants and the peacocks this morning, they are clearly city girls! Hopefully it won't be too long before they feel at home. They are already very tame and will let you stroke them - something my old hens would never let me do without protesting! I am in the process of naming them - suggestions gratefully received - the black and white one is magpie as she pecks at anything gold (and is the tamest and consequently my favourite). And this little one is called Cerys after Masterchef David's daughter (it is her adopt-a-hen from afar) - she will be a blue egg layer!

7 comments:

David Hall said...

Awwww! That is really sweet. Can't wait to show Cerys (thats my Cerys!) who her namesake is, she will be really chuffed. Good luck, hope they all settle in well, and if you ever want to bake a cake using Cerys' eggs and sending up here, I'm sure Cerys (thats my Cerys) will be eggstatic

xxx

Celia Hart said...

Aaaaah lovely birds Hannah. Magpie is a real beauty. And how sweet to name Cerys after David's Cerys! How many have you got? Is it 3?

Is it the white one that hasn't been named?
... Paloma ... Lily ... Snowdrop ... Pavlova!

You won't get any work done today!
Celia
x

Hannah said...

Hi Celia
Thanks for your message and all your useful comments yesterday. I have 9 hens! Sacha said I could have 8 but there were room for 9 in the boxes I took so I just had to have one extra! There are two white ones unnamed (I love Pavlova and Lily!) three grey ones, a black and brown one and another one the same as Cerys although slightly larger - plus Magpie!
You are right about not getting any work done today - I have already been out to see how they are getting on 4 times this morning and it's only 10.30!

David - looking forward to the two Cerys meeting at some point soon!

Hannah
xxx

Vida said...

How wonderful Hannah, one must be henny surely??? I have been known to drive for over an hour to go to buy blue eggs, something special about them for me!! Vida x

Celia Hart said...

I was so taken by the photos I didn't read the bit that said you'd got 9!
That's just over 5 dozen eggs a week! Is that enough? :)

Celia

Marie Rayner said...

What lovely hens Hannah! I am quite envious!

Anonymous said...

After all your recent baking, "cup cake" would be an excellent name.

xxx
Karen
Merrydale Poultry