Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 8 November 2007

I think it must be down to the weather, but I seem to be cooking soup all the time at the moment. I guess because they are quick and easy and offer instant warmth - gone are the days of having sandwiches or salad for lunch!

Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Serves 4 - 6
Preparation time 10 minutes, cooking 20 minutes

3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 red chilli, roughly chopped (optional)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper for seasoning
1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
100ml double cream
a large bunch of coriander, roughly chopped

In a large saucepan, gently fry the onions with a pinch of salt in the oil until they are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another two minutes. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, chilli (if using) and stock to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are soft. Add the maple syrup, soy and coriander and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Season to taste and stir in the cream (reserve a little for decoration if you wish). Serve with warm crusty bread.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

blog is perfect

Marie Rayner said...

Great looking soup Hannah. I Love soup this time of year. It's always so comforting to come in from the cold and sit down to a nice hot bowl of soup. When I had my wood stove there was a pot simmering on the back of it all the time!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/