Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 17 January 2008

Ginger Treacle Tart with Stem Ginger Clotted Cream Ice Cream

For the tart

500grams shortcrust pastry
11oz golden syrup
1oz syrup from preserved stem ginger
1oz butter
zest and juice of 1 large lemon
4oz fine breadcrumbs
milk for glazing the pastry

Line a 10 inch flan dish with the pastry and chill in the fridge until required. Melt the golden and ginger syrups with the butter over a gentle heat until the butter has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and breadcrumbs, ensuring that all the crumbs are coated in the syrup mixture. Pour into the pastry case and, if you wish, use any excess pastry to make leaves to decorate the top of the tart. Brush the pastry edges and any pastry decoration with milk. Bake at Gas Mark 5/180oC/Aga roasting oven below a cold shelf for 30/35 minutes until the syrup mixture has set and the pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with stem ginger ice cream.

For the Ice Cream

2 large eggs
227gram tub of clotted cream
150 grams caster sugar
250ml full fat milk
250ml double cream
4 stem gingers preserved syrup chopped finely

Whisk the eggs for 2 minutes until light and frothy. Whisk in the sugar a tablespoon at a time until completely blended. Pour in the cream, clotted cream and milk and whisk to blend. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn until almost set. Fold in the stem ginger and churn until set. Store in the freezer for up to one month.

6 comments:

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

This is not, I repeat NOT, helping my NY resolution to indulge less! Still, I think I can live with the guilt...! ;)

Looks fantastic, Hannah.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

This sounds..... I want to say horrible so that I don't then go and make it, but ofcourse it sounds incredible!
I keep putting stem ginger, ginger syrup or crystalised ginger in almost everything at the moment. I seem to buy far too much of it in the run up to Christmas - love the stuff.

Marie Rayner said...

This all sounds too tooo gorgeous! I love ginger and could eat it til it comes out my ears!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Abitofafoodie said...

How delicious - treacle tart is one of my favourite puddings. I haven't ever made it with stem ginger though so shall have to give that I try next time. Thank you for the idea - I bet it is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
You are being a bad influence on me. My favourite ingredients in a pudding are ginger and treacle.
I have joined a gym and my resolve is very weak.....
Happy New Year to you from Freddie and me
xxx

Rosie said...

This looks so delicious one of my fav puds.... yum!

Rosie x