Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Monday 14 January 2008

Yesterday two gorgeous munchkins Josh and Rosie came to visit for lunch. I am not sure how it is where you are but it has rained non stop here for what seems like days. The stream in our garden is at an all time high, a new (and unintentional) waterfall has appeared and the chickens are REALLY muddy. Anyway, when it is raining and cold there is nothing better for lunch than soup. Whilst us adults tucked into large bowls of dhal (a la Steven Wallis and a firm favourite in our house since he taught me how to make it) and naan, Josh and Rosie had mushroom soup.

Mushroom and spring onion soup
4 large portobello mushrooms (or any mushrooms will do), roughly chopped
4 spring onions, washed and finely chopped
1 sprig thyme and 1 sprig rosemary
25g salted butter
salt and pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp sherry (omit if serving for children)
800ml vegetable stock
100ml milk (any will do - I used skimmed but you could use soya milk for anyone vegan or dairy allergic)
Double cream and chopped chives to serve
Melt the butter in a pan and saute the mushrooms and spring onions with the herbs over a gentle heat until softened. This should take approximately 5 -6 minutes. Add the sherry and cook for 2 minutes to burn off the alcohol. Remove the herbs, then add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Serve warm with a swirl of cream and some chopped chives.

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

Soup is just so right on a cold, windy and rainy day. Your lunch guests look lovely!