Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 5 June 2008

When friends and family go on holiday, they are instructed to look out for nice recipes and unusual culinary delights to bring back. I often receive recipes cutout from newspapers and magazines from my Grandma and Aunt. As a result of people being very kind to me, I have a cupboard full of unusual sugars and spices from all around the world. During my Mums trip to New York and Boston they tried Boston Cream Pie which they loved. They kindly bought back the recipe and I can't wait to try it out!
Boston Cream Pie
Serves 6 -8
Cake Base

7 eggs, separated
8oz caster sugar
4oz plain flour
1oz melted butter
Place the yolks and egg whites in separate bowls and add half of the sugar to each bowl. Whisk both bowls well until the yolks have doubled in size and the whites are at stiff peak. Gently add the whites to the yolk mixture and fold in the flour and melted butter. Pour in to a 10 inch greased spring form tin and bake in the oven (350F/Gas Mark 4/180C) for 20 minutes until the cake springs back to your touch. Allow to cool.
Cream Filling
1 tbsp butter
500ml milk
500ml double cream
1 tbsp rum (I will substitute amaretto)
3 dessert spoons of cornflour
6 eggs
2oz caster sugar
Heat the butter, milk and cream in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. In a separate bowl whisk the sugar, cornflour and eggs until creamy and then whisk into the heated butter cream when it comes to the boil. Heat for a further minute and then set aside to chill (I would make this the night before you are serving). When it is chilled, stir in the alcohol.
Icing
6oz fondant icing
3oz plain chocolate, melted
5oz fondant icing
Warm the 6oz fondant in a bain marie to 105 degrees and then add the chocolate. If the mixture is not of a runny consistency, add a little water. Heat the remaining 5oz fondant gently so it is runny and place in a piping bag.

To assemble your Boston cream pie, cut the cake in half and fill with 2/3rds of the pastry cream. Pour over the chocolate icing and pipe the white fondant on in a spiral. Using a knife drag placed in the center of the cake, pull the tip gently across the icing to the edge of the cake to give the feathered icing effect. Smooth the remaining cream filling around the sides of the cake and covered to toasted almond flakes.

Is it wrong to be wanting a slice of this even though it is only 8am in the morning???!!!


3 comments:

Milhan said...

Boston cream pie would make a delicious breakfast treat! As you can see, it is really a cake...and that custard filling is just lovely.

Nice photo in Times Square. I hope a good time was had by all.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Boston Cream Pie was always requested when it was my dads birthday. I think it would not be objectionable to have it for breakfast:D

Marie Rayner said...

Boston Cream Pie has long been a favourite of ours. I am a strong believer in having cake for breakfast!