Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 9 July 2008


I love sweet peas and just adore this picture of my mum picking sweet peas in her allotment. A small pot will fill the house with delicious scents of summer. Sadly their pretty petals are poisonous and cannot be used in cooking - although you can use garden pea flowers which are lovely in salads. Such a shame as they would look beautiful crystallised with sugar!

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea they were poisonous! Good thing I've never used them for anything!

By the way, they're showing Masterchef reruns here (South Africa), and last night a very nervous Hannah made her first appearance... and a very interesting lavender duck!

Marie Rayner said...

Sweet peas are my favourite flowers and yes I did know about them being poisonous! A wee friend of ours was eating the pods one time when she was visiting us and we had to take her to the hospital! She thought they were real peas. I told her you should never eat anything from out of a garden without asking first! Lesson learnt! Your mom is such a pretty lady, just like you!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sweet peas are one of my favourite garden flowers. When I travel to Vancouiver Island they grow wild everywhere...such a wonderful fragrance!!!

Rita said...

I love sweet peas too! Is that cosmos flowers in the allotment too? Love being in SA during cosmos time - they grow wild along the road at some place and all the colours are so beautiful to see.

Angie said...

I didn't know that about Sweet Peas being poisonous. You could always make some using petal paste.
Angie, xx