Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 22 July 2009

There is something about the heady fragrance of almonds and frangipane that I love. The smell as these came out of the oven did not disappoint!

Cherry, Almond and Pistachio Muffins

Preparation time 15 minutes Cooking time 15 – 20 minutes
Makes 12 muffins

250g/9oz self raising flour, sifted

1tsp baking powder

100g/3½oz caster sugar

150g/5½oz butter, melted

3tbsp buttermilk

150ml/5floz/scant 2/3 cup milk

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

100g/3 1/2oz preserved or fresh cherries, chopped and stones removed

60g/2 oz pistachios, coarsely ground

60g/2oz ground almonds

1 tsp almond essence

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F and place muffin cases in a 12 hole muffin pan. Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, pistachios and ground almonds in a large mixing bowl and stir well with a large spoon. Whisk together the 100g/3½oz of the melted butter, milk, buttermilk, almond essence and eggs in a separate bowl. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and fold in with a large spoon. Stir in the cherries. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and firm to touch. Leave to cool.

6 comments:

Teena Vallerine said...

Yum! I just had virtual breakfast! t.x

Rita said...

Yum! Will definitely give it a try ... thanks!

Lucy said...

My Mum made these this morning and I can safely vouch that they are delicious - and I dont normally like pistachioSs! Definitely will make again, thankyou for sharing :)

Heatherfeather said...

Hannah, these look beautiful and sound scrumptious.

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Hannah, those look absolutely scrummy!!! I love pistacios in anything!

Anonymous said...

Hannah, if you whisk only 100g of melted butter, what do you do with the other 50 grams?

They look delicious, I'll give them a try for sure.