Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 29 September 2009

A trip to an antique book store at the weekend provided a haul of three wonderful new cook books. I think I was feeling inspired by watching the wonderful Julie and Julia film at the cinema the other week (I left the cinema feeling very virtuous that I had managed 365 recipes in 10 weeks - rather than Julia's 541 recipes in 8 years and Julies cooking Julia's 541 recipes in a year). If you haven't seen it and love food, then you MUST go and see this film. So my new books are 1) A 1970's viennese cook book - OK the photos may be very dated but the recipe for schnitzel and cucumber salad sounds perfect and I can't wait to try it out. 2) A book from 1905 written by Mrs Peel on Puddings and Sweets - I just had to had this for her sentiment at the front of the book "There is no such thing as High Class Cooking. There is merely good cooking and bad cooking, and the former is generally the most simple". A woman after my own heart!! And finally 3) a 1950's book The Complete Patissier written by a chef who worked at the Savoy (after my cooking dessert in the Savoy kitchen I just had to have this book - despite it ridiculous price tag of £27). The other reason I couldn't leave this book behind was that Mr Kollist has a receipe for Looking Glass - Miroirs which I just have to try to see if they are fit for an Alice in Wonderland party.

6 comments:

Jules said...

Wonderful books, I'll be interested to hear how well the mirrors work. I love looking at vintage cookbooks.

Snowy said...

Great books. I love finding old cook books. My best find was in Hay on Wye - 'Cookery for every household' by Florence B Jack from 1914. It only cost 50p and has some weird and wonderful recipes.

Your 'Big book of cakes & cookies'has arrived here in France today Hannah. I can't wait to try out the recipes.

snowy

Twelfthknit said...

Speaking of cookery books, my copy of your book arrived today. I've only had a 'serious' look at the large cakes and they look great- some nice twists in some familiar recipes- Lavender Drizzle Cake anyone?

Twelfthknit said...

Hmm- just read my last comment and it reads a bit like 'nothing really new in this book' - and that is so NOT what I mean ! ;0)

Lucy said...

What gorgeous books - the recipe for the mirrors sounds exciting! Great finds :)

Ann said...

I just got back from North Norfolk myself. I tried your Rolo cupcakes, next one I make I want to use chocolate truffle middles.