Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Pistachio Cookies


These little cookies are quick to prepare and perfect for elevensies!

Preparation time 20 minutes, baking 10 - 12 minutes
Makes 30
3oz shelled pistachios
2oz caster sugar
4oz butter
5oz plain flour
1tsp vanilla extract
200g findant icing sugar
few drops of green food colouring
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/350C/180F and grease and line 2 baking trays. Place the pistachios in a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, then sift in the flour and add 2/3rds of the ground pistachios and the vanilla extract. Bring together as a soft dough with your hands. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1/2cm thick. Using a 6cm cutter cut out 30 biscuits - I used a little flower cutter. Transfer to the trays and bake for 10 - 12 minutes until the cookies are golden - turn the trays half way through cooking for even colour. Transfer to a rack and place a sheet of foil or grease prooof paper underneath to catch the icing drips. Mix together the icing sugar with a few drops of green colouring (if using - I didn't, as I have run out of green after making very green whoopies the other day!) together with 2 - 3 tbsp of water - mixing until you have a smooth thick icing. Spoon the icing over the cookies whilst still warm and sprinkle with the remaining ground pistachios before the icing sets. You can use normal icing sugar but I prefer fondant icing sugar as this sets with a lovely glossy finish.

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

They look so pretty too Hannah.

Alex said...

Very cute - love the flower shape although I'd argue they were also perfect for tea-time too!