Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 14 January 2011

For weeks now I have been wrestling with what has become my nemesis - gluten-free puff pastry. It was the last recipe for the book that was still outstanding and my lovely publishers gave me a bit more time to try and make it work. All attempts were seeming fruitless - more "brick like" than delicate leaves of pastry. I have to admit that I was close to the stage of throwing my hands in the air and declaring it a culinary impossibility but one evening earlier this week a miracle occurred and with a few tweeks to the recipe suddenly we had puff lift off. I tried it again twice just to check it wasn't a fluke and low and behold the recipe worked again and again. It was one of those Eliza Doolittle "By Jove I think she's got it" moments - think sitting on the kitchen floor and weeping tears of baking joy! So here is my gluten-free puff - just some snap shots and not the proper photos for the book I hasten to add - but look - you can actually see the layers and the bonus is the recipe is really easy and much easier than normal puff! So my book is now finished - the photo shoots are underway and the pictures so far are lovely. The book is going to be called "The Gluten-Free Baker" and will be out later this year. Can't wait!

4 comments:

Snowy said...

Well done Hannah. Congratulations on finishing the book. Look forward to seeing it in the shops.
Sorry to hear that you've had flu and 'missed' your birthday. Great idea to have a second one later on!

Patricia (La Chatte Gitane) said...

They look gorgeous and very puffy !
Well done Hannah.

EnglishRose said...

Congratulations - and thankng you for persevering! My best friend (a very keen baker) has recently been diagnosed as coeliac and, although she's pleased that they've finally identified the cause of her health problems, she's been in despair at the thought of not being able to bake anything exciting any more. I can't wait to surprise her with gluten-free puff pastry - and I already know which cookbook I'll be buying her for her birthday this year ;)

Kathlyn said...

So pleasing to the eyes and definitely pleasing to taste. Love it!